Punjab State Board PSEB 9th Class Physical Education Book Solutions Chapter 3 Effects of Intoxicants on Sports Performance Textbook Exercise Questions and Answers.
PSEB Solutions for Class 9 Physical Education Chapter 3 Effects of Intoxicants on Sports Performance
Very Short Answer Type Questions
Write the name of two intoxicants.
Name any two systems which are being effected by intoxicants.
On Digestive system and circulatory system.
Write any two harms of intoxicants.
- Face becomes pale.
- Disturbance of Mantle concentration.
Write any two harm of sports person of intoxicants.
- Carelessness and irresponsibility.
- End of Sportsmanship
Intoxicants causes depart in sport. (Right or wrong)
Alcohol effects on brain. (Right or wrong)
PSEB 9th Class Physical Education Book Chapter 3 Effects of Intoxicants on Sports Performance
Chewing Tobacco causes weak eyesight. (Right or wrong)
Smoking causes cancer or not.
Use of Tobacco does not causes cough and the consumption of tobacco is not prone to T.B. (Right or wrong)
Under the influence of intoxicants player become careless. (Right or wrong)
Short Answer Type Questions
Prepare a list of intoxicants.
List of Intoxicants:
Describe how intoxicants effect on digestion and memory or thinking of a person.
Effect on Digestion:
Intoxicants have highly adverse effect on digestive system. They are highly acidic in nature. As a result of acidic characteristic, the working capacity of liver decreases, and our suffers from many stomach ailments.
Effect on Memory:
Under the influence of intoxicants person cannot speak properly. He only stammers. He loses self-control. He cannot properly judge the changed conditions during the play, and fails to exploit such situations.
Intoxicants cause defeat in sports. How?
- Intoxicated players fail to assess the ever changing condition during the play, and become the cause of their team’s defeat in the end. .
- An intoxicated player becomes careless and irresponsible.
- If anybody is found having played under the influence of some intoxicants, he may be debarred from play, his reward is cancelled. In this way victory turns into defeat.
What are the effects of Alcohol on our body? Discuss harm of alcohol.
Effects of Alcohol on Health:
Alcohol is a liquid intoxicant. It is legally binding to write on each bottle of alcohol-“Drinking is injurious to health.” Even then more and more people are becoming addict to alcohol, and seem to ignore the statutory warning totally. Thus, more and more such people are becoming prey to many diseases. Their lungs get defected. The liver is damaged. Age declines. Alcohol, in fact, adversely affects all parts of the body. At first man takes alcohol, then alcohol begins to take (consume) him.
Alcohol has several bad effects, some of which are listed below:
- Alcohol affects the brain first of all. Nervous system gets affected and the brain weakens. The thinking power or faculty declines.
- The kidneys in the body weaken.
- Alcohol becomes a hindrance in the production of digestive juices, as a result of which digestion worsens.
- Respiration increases, and one catches diseases pertaining to respiratory system.
- Blood vessels expand under the influence of regular drinking. Brain has to exert more, and one may suffer a heart attack any moment.
- Regular drinking decreases the work-capacity of muscles. The body gets weakened to face the attack of disease germs.
- The studies have revealed that a drunkard works less than a normal person. A drunkard also catches various diseases sooner than a normal individual.
- Drinking is a social evil as it ruins home, health and wealth.
What is the effects of cigarettes and tobacco on our body? What are the harms of smoking?
Effect of Smoking on Health:
In our country smoking and taking tobacco has become a habit and a fashion. There are several ways to consume tobacco such as smoking cigarettes, bidis, cigars, hubble-bubble, etc. Tobacco is also eaten in many forms such as eating “paan”, tobacco mixed with lime, “jarda”, etc. There is a dangerous toxic substance called Nicotine in tobacco. There are other toxins like ammonia, carbon dioxide, etc. Nicotine has its adverse effect on the head which begins to feel giddy, and then the heart is badly affected.
The harms of tobacco on health are as under:
- Eating or taking tobacco weakens eyesight.
- It increases heart beat. One catches heart diseases which often prove fatal.
- Studies have revealed that tobacco consuming contracts blood vessels.
- Tobacco benumbs the body tissues. One does not have good sleep and ultimately suffers from sleeplessness.
- Stomach begins to remain upset with tobacco consumption.
- Tobacco also causes cough, and the consumer of tobacco is prone to lung diseases like T.B.
- The possibility of catching cancer increases with the excessive use of tobacco, particularly the cancer of lungs and throat.
Long Answer Type Questions
What are intoxicants? Discuss their harms.
Intoxicants and their Abuses:
Ever since time immemorial man has been using intoxicants. He was of the opinion that their use was helpful in removing some diseases and in making one feel fresh. But later on the harmful effects of intoxicants came to light. In today’s world, many types of intoxicants have come into use and are easily available. The sports world, in particular, feels concerned and worried. There is no doubt that man can work overtime by consuming some intoxicants, but in the long run overwork results in his fast decay and death.
Among these intoxicants some are worse than leprosy. Such intoxicants as alcohol, tobacco, opium, hashish, bhang, etc. are very harmful to ones’ health. Everybody takes part in some sports for his recreation. He has goodwill and sense of co-operation, and thinks of the well-being of all on the other hand, an intoxicant cannot think of anybody and anything else except his own self, and sometimes not even about his own well-being.
Such a person is a burden on society. He becomes a thorn in the flesh of others. Not only does he make his own life sorrowful but also makes others sorrowful, and turns the life of his family and relatives into a virtual hell. The fact is that intoxicants had highly injurious .effect on one’s health. The use of intoxicants makes one catch diseases of liver, lungs, heart, blood, digestive system, etc. It is not good for players in particular.
Harms of Intoxicants:
Those players who use intoxicants develop the following defects-
- The face turns pale.
- One’s steps stagger.
- The mental balance is lost.
- The playfield turns into a battlefield.
- Digestion gets defective.
- Acidic elements decrease the efficiency of liver.
- Many stomach ailments are caught.
- The working capacity of muscles decreases.
- The player fails to show good performance on the playfield.
- One catches such dreadful diseases as cancer, asthma etc.
- The memory of the player suffers.
- Intoxicated players fail to assess the ever-changing conditions during the play, and become the cause of their team’s defeat in the end.
- An intoxicated player becomes careless and irresponsible.
- Body loses the needed co-ordination.
Mention the adverse effects of intoxicants on the players and their games.
The adverse effects of intoxicants on the players and their game are as under:
1. The Lack of Bodily co-ordination and Agility:
The player under the effect of an intoxicant loses his usual agility and physical co-ordination. These are essential qualities for a good game of hockey, football, etc.
2. The Lack of Mental balance and Concentration:
A slight mistake of a player may prove to be very harmful to the team. An intoxicated player cannot play with concentration. Therefore, he commits such mistakes as result in the team’s defeat.
3. Carelessness and Irresponsibility:
An intoxicated player is extremely careless and carefree. He fails to judge his own strength and efficiency. Sometimes such a player receives such an injury that he has to repent later throughout his life.
4. The Loss of the Spirit of Sportsmanship:
The intoxicated player loses his sense of sportsmanship. As he is in semi-conscious state, he has no self-control. He loses his balance of mind, becomes self-willed and plays as he wishes without paying any heed to what his team-mates say or desire.
5. The Lack of Tolerance:
An intoxicated player often expresses his unhappiness over the decisions of the umpire or referee. He has no control on his reasoning, so he behaves indecently.
6. Disobedience of Rules: Such a player often disobeys rules of the game.
7. Turning of Playground into a Battlefield:
A player under the influence of intoxicant turns the playground into a battlefield.
International Olympic Committee has banned the use of intoxicants during games. If anybody is found having played under the influence of some intoxicant, his medal or reward is cancelled. Therefore, players should try to avoid all kinds of intoxicants, show their best performance and brings laurels to their country.