Swimming Game Rules – PSEB 10th Class Physical Education
Mention the officials appointed to conduct swimming competition.
Officials for Olympic and International Swimming Competitions and other Swimming Competitions:
- Referee – 1
- Starter – 1
- Chief Time Keeper – 1
- Time Keepers – 3 per lane
- Chief Judge – 1
- Finishing Judges – 3 per lane
- Inspectors of Turns – 1
- Announcer – 1 each at both ends
- Judges of Strokes – 2
- Recorder – 1
- Clerk of the House – 1
For other competitions, the following minimum officials shall be as under:
- Referee – 1
- Starter – 1
- Time Keepers – 1 per lane
- Finishing Judges – 1 per lane
- Inspectors of Turns and strokes – 1 per every two lanes
- Recorder – 1
Describe the main Rules of swimming?
Rules For Swimming
1. The swimmer who obstructs any other swimmer during the swim shall be disqualified.
2. If a foul endangers the chance of success of a swimmer, the judges shall have the right to allow him to complete in the next round. If a foul occurs in the final, the referee can allow him to swim again.
3. On return a competitor shall touch the end of the pool or end of the track with one or both hands. Diving from the bottom of the pool is not allowed.
4. A swimmer who stands on the both shall not be declared disqualified, but he shall not move.
5. Only the swimmer who covers the entire course shall be declared the winner.
6. In relay race, the competitor whose feet have lost touch with the starting block before his or her partner, going ahead of him or her touches the wall, shall be disqualified. If the defaulter returns to original starting point – at the wall, it is not essential to return to the starting platform.
How heats in swimming competition are organised?
Heats and finals in Swimming Competitions
Seeding of Heats and finals:
The heats in all semi-finals and final swimming competitions shall be seeded as follows:
(i) Trial Hit:
(1) The names, the order of time and the competitive time of all entrants are recorded on the admission form which is, then, sent to the competition committee. The competitor who does not get his or her time recorded in the form is listed at the bottom of the list. If there are more than one such competitors, their positions are decided by lots.
(2) The faster swimmer of team is placed in the last heat, the next to him/it is placed in the last but one heat, and so on. In this way, all the swimmers or teams are fixed in various heats.
(3) When the lanes are in odd numbers, the fastest swimmer or team is placed in the central lane; in case there are 6 or 5 lanes, the fastest swimmer or team is placed in third or fourth lane. The next to him/it in speed is placed to the right of the fastest swimmer/team, and in this way, the other swimmers/teams are placed right or left according to their timing. The lane position for the swimmers with equal timing is decided by lots.
The lanes are determined in accordance with the above mentioned rule 3 where the starting heats are not required. Where the starting heats have already been over, the lanes are determined according to Rule No. 3.
How many types of swimming competitions are there?
Breast Stroke, Butterfly Stroke, Back Stroke, Free Style Swimming
1. Breast Stroke Swimming:
In this type of swimming, the body and breast shall be balanced and both the shoulders shall be above the water level. The actions of hands and feet shall be simultaneous, and they should be in line. Both the hands should move together ahead of the breast inside or above water or backward.
In the action of the legs, the feet should bend from the back forward. Action cannot be like that of a fish. At the time of turning or finishing, both the hands must touch the inside or outside water. A part of the head should remain above the water level.
2. Butterfly Stroke:
In this type of. swimming, both the arms have to be brought together, forward to backward, above the surface of water. The weight of the body should be on the chest and both the shoulders should be in line with the water level. After the first arm stroke after the start of the race, the feet should act together. At the time of finish or touching the ends, both the hands should simultaneously touch. In the initial stage the swimmer is allowed to use leg kicks and arm pull.
3. Back Stroke:
In it, the competitors shall stand, holding the starting grip with the hand and facing the starting end. On the signal they shall swim across the entire course on their backs. The competitor who changes the normal back position shall be declared disqualified. The feet must remain in water. No competitor is allowed to stand in pit.
4. Free Style Swimming:
Free style swimming means any type of swimming. In style or manner, it is different from butterfly stroke, breast stroke or back stroke swimming. In free style swimming, the swimmer need not touch the wall of the tank with his hand while bending and at the time of ending. He may touch it with any part of his body.
No coaching is allowed when swimming or diving is in progress.
Points are awarded in this manner – first three positions respectively (5, 3, 1) and in relay races (16, 6, 2) Swimming Competitions at School-level Following types of swimming competitions are held at the school – level:
- Free Style – 100, 200 and 400 m.
- Back Stroke – 100 m.
- Breast Stroke – 100 m.
- Butterfly Stroke – 100 m.
- Relay – 4 × 100 metre free style.
- 4 × 100 metre Medley (Breast Back Stroke)
- Free Style – 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 m.
- Back Stroke – 100, 200 m.
- Breast Stroke – 100, 200 m.
- Butterfly Stroke – 100 m.
- Relay – 4 × 100 mdtre free style.
- 4 × 100 metre Medley (Breast, Back, Butterfly, Free Style)
Important Information About the Swimming Game
- The length of the swimming pool is = 50 Metre
- Minimum width of the pool = 21m – 25m
- The depth of water in the pool is = 1.8 Metre or above
- Which kick is not allowed in Breast stroke = Dolphin
- Officials of Swimming = One Referee, one starter. Time keeper for every lane, Finishing judge for every lane.
- Inspector of turn and stroke = One for each Iona
- Recorder = One
- Swimming competition = Breast stroke, Butter¬fly stroke, Back stroke, Free style Relay = 4 × 100 Free style 4 × 400 Metre Medley
- In all events of swimming, it is essential for all the swimmers to have physical touch with the end of the swimming pool.
- The swimming pool is 50 metre long and minimum 21 metre wide. The depth of water in the swimming pool is 1.8 metre.
- There shall be a concession of 0.3 metre above and below the surface of water lengthwise.
- In breast-stroke swimming, the swimmer cannot make use of dolphin kick.
- No player can use anything which he cannot wear and any such thing as may help increase his swimming pace.
- In butterfly stroke, both the arms should be brought together forward to backward simultaneously.
- In back stroke swimming, a contestant who change his normal back position is disqualified.
- In free style swimming, swimming can be done in any manner or style.
- Coaching is not allowed during swimming and diving.
- A swimmer cannot use oil or any greasy substance on his or her body during any swimming event.
- The swimmer should wear the approved uniform.
- The swimmer should always remain in his or her fixed lane. The lanes, made of ropes, shall be 2.5 m. in width. The surface of water should be even, without any movement or turbulation, at the time of the contest.
Punjab State Board PSEB 10th Class Physical Education Book Solutions Swimming Game Rules.