PSEB Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 1 Food Where Does It Come From
Science Guide for Class 6 PSEB Food Where Does It Come From Intext Questions and Answers
Think and Answer (Textbook Page No. 2)
What are materials need to prepare food items called?
What ingredients are used to prepare Kheer?
Ingredients for preparing kheer are milk, rice, sugar and dry fruits.
Think and Answer (Textbook Page No. 4)
Which term is used for the part of plant we use as food?
The plant parts which are used by us as food are called edible parts.
Which part of mango tree is edible?
Think and Answer (Textbook Page No. 6)
Name two animals which eat only plants or plant products?
Cow and goat
Name two animals which eat only flesh?
Lion and tiger.
Name two animals which eat both plants and animals?
Cat and dog.
PSEB 6th Class Science Guide Food Where Does It Come From Textbook Questions and Answers
Exercise – 1
1. Fill in the Blanks:
(a) Materials needed to prepare food items are called ………………
(b) White part of egg is called …………………
(c) Plants can prepare their own food by the process of ………………
(d) ……………… and ………………… of mustard is used as food.
(e) Honeybee collects ………………… from flowers.
2. Write True or False:
(a) All animals are carnivores.
(b) Root of sweet potato is used as food.
(c) Egg is not nutritional food as it contains no proteins.
(d) Stem of sugarcane is used to prepare juice, sugar and jaggery.
(e) Butter, curd and Honey are milk products.
3. Match the Column A with Column B:
|Column A||Column B|
|1. Carrot||(a) Pulses|
|2. Gram, Peas||(b) Fruit|
|3. Wheat, Rice||(c) Root|
|4. Potato||(d) Cereals|
|5. Orange||(e) Stem|
|Column A||Column B|
|1. Carrot||(c) Root|
|2. Gram, Peas||(a) Pulses|
|3. Wheat, Rice||(d) Cereals|
|4. Potato||(e) Stem|
|5. Orange||(b) Fruit|
4. Choose the Correct Answer:
Which of the following is an omnivorous animal?
Which part of cabbage is used as food?
(d) None of above.
5. Very Short Answer Type Questions:
What are ingredients?
The materials needed to prepare food items are called ingredients.
Name any three milk products.
Cheese, butter, curd, and cream.
Name any two seeds which are used as spices.
Ginger, and turmeric.
6. Short Answer Type Questions:
How are the seeds important source of human food?
Seeds are important ingredients of our food. Pulses are seeds of gram, peas, kidney beans and green gram (moong) are rich sources of protein. Cereals are seeds of grass plants like wheat, rice and maize. These are good sources of carbohydrates. Seeds of many plants are good sources of edible oils like mustard, groundnut and coconut.
What is the importance of food for living beings?
Food is very important because it
- provides energy to do work.
- helps in growth and development of body.
- protects us from diseases.
- keeps us healthy.
- helps in healing the injured body parts.
Write briefly about any two food products that we get from animals.
We get different food ingredients from animals. Some of the examples are milk, eggs, meat, honey, etc.
Milk and Milk Products.
Milk is used worldwide as food. It is also converted into dairy products like cheese, butter, curd, cream etc. We use milk of buffalo, cow, goat and sheep. Milk contains proteins, sugar, fats and vitamins. It is very good for health.
Honey is sweet and thick fluid produced by honeybees. Honeybees collect nectar from flowers and convert it into honey and store it in their hives. Honey contains sugar, Water, minerals, enzymes and vitamins. Honey is being used as food and medicine since ancient times.
Write briefly about any two food products that we get from plants.
We get different food products from plants. Examples are fruits, seeds, edible leaves, roots and stems.
Fruits are important source of vitamins and minerals and are also essential for good health. Fruits like apple, mango, guava, papaya, orange, etc. are eaten raw. Some fruits are also used to make pickles, jams and juices.
Seeds of many plants used as food and food ingredients.
Gram, peas, kidney beans and green gram (moong) are examples of pulses. These are rich sources of proteins.
Seeds of grass like crops e.g. wheat, rice and maize are known as cereals. These are good sources of carbohydrates. Wheat flour is used to make chapati, bread and biscuits.
Seeds of coriander (dhania), cumin (zeera) and black pepper are used as spices in kitchen. Oil of mustard seeds is used in cooking.
7. Long Answer Type Question :
How can we categorise animals on the basis of their food habits? Explain with the help of examples.
We can categorise animals on the basis of their food habits into three categories. These are :
(2) Carnivores and
(1) Herbivores are the animals which eat only plants and plant products are called herbivores, e.g. cow, goat, rabbit, sheep, deer, elephant, etc.
(2) Carnivores are the animals which eat other animals are called carnivores, e.g. lion, tiger, lizard, snake, etc.
(3) Omnivores are the animals which eat both plant and animals are called omnivores, e.g. Crow, bear, dog and rat, man, etc.
PSEB Solutions for Class 6 Science Food Where Does It Come From Important Questions and Answers
Multiple Choice Questions:
The following root is eaten by us.
Fruit of following plant is a food to us.
Which is a herbivore :
Cat is an example of :
Milk product is :
Fill in the Blanks:
(a) Food is prepared by using one or two or more ……………
(b) We get …………….. and ………………. from plants.
(c) Animals provide us …………….. and ……………..
(d) Paddy is source of ……………….
(e) Some plants have more than one parts.
(f) Banana leaf is used as a ………………
(g) Seeds of mustard give us …………….
(h) Honey-bees prepare honey from the ……………. of the flowers.
(i) On the basis of eating habits, the living organisms are grouped into ………………. and ………………
herbivores, carnivores, omnivores.
Write (T) against True and (F) against False statement:
(a) Plants are source of seeds, fruits, vegetables, spices etc.
(b) Butter, cream, cheese and curd are milk products.
(c) Roots of all plants can be eaten as food.
(d) We can eat stems and flowers of some plants.
(e) Turmeric is an example of spice.
(f) Seeds of moong and kidney beans are example of pulses.
(g) Plants can prepare their food by a process called respiration.
(h) Lions and tigers eat other animals for their food so they are called carnivores.
Match the following items given in column A with that in column B:
|Column A||Column B|
|(1) Lion||Collect nectar|
|(3) Man||Eat other animals|
|(4) Female mosquito||Eat plants|
|(5) Honey bee||Take food from plants and animals.|
|(6) Green plants||Human blood.|
(1) Lion – Eat other animals
(2) Deer – Eat plants
(3) Man – Take food from plants and animals.
(4) Female mosquito – Human blood
(5) Honey bee – Collect nectar
(6) Green plants – Photosynthesis.
Very Short Answer Type Questions
List five carnivores.
Give examples of five herbivores.
List three omnivores.
Which parts of plant are edible?
Root, stem, leaf, flower i.e. all parts of a plant are edible.
Which food product is prepared by bees?
Name plants whose seeds are eaten as food.
Moong, chana, peas, wheat etc.
Should we eat unknown plants? Why?
No, we should not do so because some plants are poisonous.
Where is nectar collected from and stored by bees?
Nectar is collected from flowers and stored in their beehives.
Name some stems which are used as spices?
Ginger and turmeric.
List four food products are that obtained from animals?
- meat and
Name four food items prepared from milk.
- butter and
Why do we need to take food?
For getting energy and for doing various physical activities.
How can you classify foods?
Classification of food. Classification of food is done in the following categories :
- Energy giving food
- Body building food
- Protective food.
Name four examples of animals which (i) give us milk and (ii) give us meat to eat.
Animals which give us milk are (i) Cow (ii) Buffalo (iii) Goat (iv) Camel.
Animals which give us meat are (i) Pig (ii) Goat (iii) Chicken (iv) Sheep.
Name two animals which give us eggs to eat.
Short Answer Type Questions
Differentiate between carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
Carnivores. These are the animals which obtain their food by eating other animals. Examples are lion, tiger, lizard, snake, etc.
Herbivores. Animals which eat only plants and plant products are called herbivores. Examples are cow, goat, rabbit, sheep, deer, elephant, etc.
Omnivores. Animals which eat both plants and animals are called omnivores. Examples are crow, bear, dog, rat, etc. Humans can also eat all types of substances, so they are also an example of omnivores.
Differentiate between pulses and cereals.
Pulses are the seeds of plants like gram, peas, kidney beans, green gram (moong). These are good source of proteins.
Cereals are the seeds of plants like wheat, rice, maize, etc. These are good source of carbohydrates.
What are the main sources of food for different animals including man? Give examples.
All animals and humans get their food from plants and other animals.
Food from plants : grains, pulses, fruits, vegetables, spices.
Food from Animals : milk, meat, milk products, etc.
Why are plants called producers and animals are called consumers?
We know plants can synthesis their food by using carbon dioxide and water from the surrounding using the green pigment called chlorophyll and sunlight. For this reason these are called producers. On the other hand, animals cannot synthesise their food like plants so they depend upon plants or other animals for their food. Hence they are called consumers.
Why is a man called an omnivorous animal?
Man is called an omnivorous animal because he eats both, plant food (such as grains, pulses, fruits and vegetables) as well as meat of animals (such as goat, chicken and fish). ‘Omnivorous animals’ are also called ‘Omnivores’.
Give examples of plants which have (i) roots, (ii) leaves and (iii) stems as edible parts.
(i) We eat roots of carrot, radish, turnip, sweet potato, etc.
(ii) We eat leaves of mustard, spinach, cabbage, coriander, mint, etc.
(iii) We eat stems of ginger, potato, onion, sugarcane, turmeric, etc.
We eat fruits and seeds of some plants. Give some examples of such plants.
We eat fruits of plants like mango, apple, guava, papaya, orange, etc. On the other hand we eat seeds of pulses, cereals, etc.
Long Answer Type Questions
Give the main ingredients and their sources for the following food items. Kheer, matar paneer, chapati/roti, karhi and parantha
Write a short note on honey and milk.
It is sweet and thick fluid produced by honeybees. They collect nectar from flowers and convert it into honey. Sugar, water, minerals, enzymes and vitamins are the main ingredients of honey. Honey is stored in the beehives. It is in use as food and medicine since ancient times.
It is known as complete food as it gives us all ingredients like fats, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins. It is a food consumed all over the world. It can also be converted into many other products like cheese, butter, curd, cream, etc. We obtain milk from animals like buffalo, cow, goat, camel, sheep, etc.
Write down the functions or importance of food.
Food is essential for all living organisms because of the following reasons :
(i) It provides energy. The food that we eat is digested, absorbed and then oxidised to
provide energy. The energy thus released, is utilised by all living organisms to perform various
activities like running, walking and various movements.
(ii) It helps in growth and development. The food provides all necessary materials for cell division and helps in growth and development.
(iii) It helps to overcome wear and tear. Food is also needed by living beings for replacement and reparing of their damaged parts.
(iv) It protects the body against diseases. Food gives us resistance against diseases and protects us from infection.
Write short notes on eggs and meat as food items.
Eggs and meat are the food items obtained from animals. People who eat eggs and meat are known as non-vegetarians.
(i) Eggs. Eggs are also very common food item for people. We commonly eat eggs produced by hens and ducks. Eggs we eat have a hard shell outside. Inside this shell we have white part called albumin and yellow part called yolk. Albumin is rich in proteins whereas yolk is rich in fats.
(ii) Meat. We eat flesh of some animals which is known as meat. Meat is also eaten by large number people all over the world. We generally eat meat of goat, sheep, chicken and fish. All types of meat has proteins and fats as the main ingredient. In addition we also eat sea animals like prawn, oysters, crabs, etc.
Food Where Does It Come From PSEB 6th Class Science Notes
- All living beings need energy to carry out their daily activities.
- Food is needed by living beings for their growth, getting energy for doing work, replacement and repair of their damaged body parts and protection against diseases.
- Different varieties of food like fruits, vegetables, milk products, sweets, eggs, meat, chapati and bakery products are present in nature.
- The materials needed to prepare food items are called ingredients. Food materials can be made of one or two or many ingredients.
- Plants are chief source of food for us and other animals. However, few food materials are also obtained from animals.
- Green plants can prepare their own food by using sunlight, carbon dioxide and water to prepare their food. This process is called photosynthesis.
- Every part of a plant where the food is stored is edible i.e. seed, flower, stem, root, leaf.
- The plant parts which are used by us as food are called edible parts.
- We eat roots of carrot, radish, turnip, sweet potato, etc. We also use stems of cetrain plants.
- Some stems like those of ginger, potato, onion, turmeric grow underground and store food. Stems of ginger and turmeric are used as spices. Stem of sugarcane is used to make juice, sugar and jaggery.
- We eat different types of fruits like apple, mango, guava, papaya, orange, etc. All these fruits are eaten raw i.e. without cooking. We make jams and pickles from some g fruits.
- Fruits are essential for good health as these are important sources of vitamins and minerals.
- We use leaves of various plants like mustard, spinach, cabbage, coriander, mint etc.
- We use seeds of many plants as food like wheat, rice, maize, gram, peas, kidney beans and green gram (moong), etc.
- Seeds of some crops like gram, peas, kidney beans and green gram (moong) are known I as pulses whereas seeds of wheat, rice and maize are known as cereals.
- We get milk, honey, meat, eggs, oil etc. from animals.
- Honey contains sugar, water, minerals, enzymes and vitamins. Nectar of flower is a source of honey.
- On the basis of the food taken by animals, there are three categories of the animals : (i) Herbivores, (ii) Carnivores and (iii) Omnivores.
- Herbivores are the animals which eat only plants and plant products are called herbivores, e.g. cow, goat, rabbit, sheep, deer, elephant, etc.
- Carnivores are the animals which eat other animals are called carnivores, e.g. lion, t tiger, lizard, snake, etc.
- Omnivores are the animals which eat both plant and animals are called omnivores. e.g. Crow, bear, dog and rat, man, etc.
- Milk contains proteins, sugar, fats and vitamins. It is used worldwide as food that can, be converted into dairy products like cheese, butter, curd, cream etc.
- People eat meat of goat, sheep, chicken, fish and sea animals like prawn, crab.
- Meat is also used as food and it contains great amount of proteins and fats.
- People eat eggs of hen and duck and other birds. White part of egg is called albumen and yellow part of egg is called yolk. Albumen is rich in proteins and you is rich in fats.
- Food: Substances providing energy to do work, maintain body heat, protecting us from deseases, etc. is called food.
- Balance diet: A diet which contains all the nutrients needed by body is called a balanced diet.
- Edible: The substances/materials which are safe for eating are called edible substances.
- Ingredients: Materials needed to prepare food Items.
- Pulses: Seeds of some crops like gram, peas, moong
- Cereals: Seeds of grass crops e.g. wheat, rice, maize
- Albumin: White part of egg
- Yolk: Yellow part of egg
- Nectar: Sugary fluid present in flowers
- Herbivores: Plant eating animals are called herbivores.
- Nectar: Sugary fluid present in flowers
- Autotrophs: Organisms which can prepare their own food by photosynthesis.
- Heterotrophs: Organisms which depend on other organisms for food
- Herbivores: Organisms which eat only plants and plant products
- Carnivores: Animals eating other animals are called carnivores.
- Omnivores: Animals that eat both plants and animals are called omnivores.
Punjab State Board PSEB 6th Class Science Book Solutions Chapter 1 Food Where Does It Come From Textbook Exercise Questions and Answers.