This PSEB 12th Class History Notes Chapter 6 Guru Arjan Dev Ji and His Martyrdom will help you in revision during exams.
PSEB 12th Class History Notes Chapter 6 Guru Arjan Dev Ji and His Martyrdom
Early Career and Difficulties:
- Guru Arjan Dev Ji was born on April 15, 1563 A.D. at Goindwal Sahib.
- The name of his father was Guru Ram Das Ji and the name of his mother was Bibi Bhani Ji.
- He was married to Ganga Devi, the daughter of Krishan Chand of village Mou of Phillaur.
- He assumed Guruship in 1581 A.D.
- After his assumption of Guruship, his elder brother Prithi Chand adopted an attitude of open defiance.
- He had to face opposition from the Naqshbandis and the Brahmans.
- Diwan Chandu Shah of Lahore was also against him.
Development of Sikhism under Guru Arjan Dev Ji:
- During his pontificate, Guru Arjan Dev Ji undertook multifarious tasks for the development of Sikhism.
- During his Guruship, he got Sri Harmandir Sahib constructed. Its construction work was completed in 1601 A.D.
- In 1590 A.D. Tarn in 1593 A.D. Kartarpur and in 1595 A.D. Sri Hargobindpur were founded.
- The compilation of the Adi Granth Sahib Ji was the greatest accomplishment of Guru Arjan Dev Ji. This great task was accomplished in 1604 A.D.
- Guru Arjan Dev Ji contributed significantly towards the Masand system.
- Guru Arjan Dev Ji encouraged the Sikhs the trade horses with the Arab countries.
- He kept the doors of Sikhism open by nominating his successor.
Martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji:
A few facts related to the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji are as follows:
- Jahangir was an orthodox Sunni Muslim.
- He could not tolerate the growing prosperity of Sikh Panth.
- Prithi Chand, the elder brother of Guru Arjan Dev Ji had started hatching conspiracies to acquire the Gurgaddi.
- Chandu Shah, the Diwan of Lahore wanted to take revenge for his insult from Guru Sahib Ji.
- The Naqshbandis also instigated Jahangir against Guru Arjan Dev Ji.
- The help extended to Shahzada Khusrau by Guru Arjan Dev Ji became the immediate cause of his martyrdom.
- On Jahangir’s instructions, Guru Arjan Dev Ji was taken prisoner on 24th May 1606 A.D.
- He was asked to pay a fine of rupees 2 lakhs which was refused.
- Guru Arjan Dev Ji was martyred at Lahore on 30th May 1606 A.D.
- The martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji is considered to be an important incident in Sikh history.
- Because he was the first Sikh Guru who gave his martyrdom he was called ‘Shaheedan de Sirtaj’.
- As a consequence of this martyrdom, there came about a transformation in the form of Sikhism.
- Guru Hargobind Ji decided to adopt a new policy of Miri and Piri.
- The Sikhs began to unite in a single band.
- The relations between the Sikhs and Mughals grew tense.
- The era of Mughal atrocities bega.
- Sikhism gained greater popularity than before.