Punjab State Board PSEB 10th Class Physical Education Book Solutions Handball Game Rules.
Handball Game Rules – PSEB 10th Class Physical Education
Give an introduction to the Handball game?
Handball is a team sport. Two teams participate in this game. Each team has 12 players, out of which 10 are court players and 2 are goal-keepers. Not more than 7 players enter the court at a tinine. Out of these 7, 6 are court players and 1 is a goal-keeper. The remaining 5 players are substitutes. A player may be included in a game or a substitute may be allowed for him. No one else but a goal keeper is allowed in the goal area.
The game starts in the middle of the court as soon as the referee whistles for a throw-on. The duration of the game for men is 30-10-30 minutes, while for women it is 25-10-25 minutes.
Each team tries to put the handball into the goal of the rival team, and tries to defend its own goal against the rival attacks. The ball is played by hands, but it can be touched by knees or any other part of the body. Only a goal-keeper can touch the ball by all parts of his body. A player can be substituted any time during the play. There is no time out in this game.
The players, running, walking or standing, can toss the ball with single hand. A player with a ball can move forward, but he cannot move more than three steps. A ball can be held for three seconds at the most. If a player gets hint, the game can be stopped on the referee’s orders, and the substitute enters the court in case of need. The weight of the ball for men is 475 gms. and for women, it is 425 gms. The circumference of the handball is from 58 to 60 cms.
After a goal has been scored, the game shall re-start from the middle of the court with a throw-on. The throw-on-shall be done by that player against whom a goal has been scored. If the ball goes out during the play, the rival team gets a throw from that place. After half-time the goal and throw-on shall be changed.
A team that scores more goals is declared the winner. If the number of goals scored by both the teams is equal or if no goal is scored, the match shall end in a draw. Each game shall be conducted by two referees who are assisted by a scorer and a time-keeper. Referees enforce the rules of the game. Referees are the managers of the match from the start to the finish.
Mention the Play ground, Goal, Ball, Players, Duration of the game, Goal area, Score, Throw-in, Comer throw, Goal throw, Free throw and Penalty throw in the game of Handball.
The playground is divided into two circular areas, The court of the game is rectangular with a length of 40 metres and width of 20 metres. The thickness of each line is 0.5 cm. The height of the poles is 7 feet, while their width is 3 metres. A‘D’ is marked 6 metres in front of the poles. The penalty area is 7 metres away from poles. In special circumstances, the play area may be 38-44 metres in length and 18-22 metres in width.
Goals shall be in the centre of goal lines. There shall be two straight poles in each goal parallel to and at an equal distance from the corners of the playfield. The poles shall be 3 metres from each other and 2 metres in height. They shall be firmly planted in the ground, and linked properly with each other with a horizontal cross-bar. The outer end of the goal line and the back end of the goal post shall be in one line.
Poles and cross-bar shall be square and of the size of 8 × 8 cms. They shall be made of wood, light metal and synthetic material. They shall have two colours on all sides and shall be distinctly different from the background.
Each goal shall be marked with a line of 3 metres, 6 metres from goal area and parallel to the goal line. The ends of this line shall be linked by quarter circles to goal line. The circumference of these circles shall be 6 metres from the back of the inner cover of goal poles. This line is called goal-area-line. Penalty line is marked at a distance of 7 metres, from the centre of goal post, and the second free throw line at a distance of 9 m.
The handball should be spherical, with a rubber bladder, and its outer cover should be made of leather of one colour or of synthetic material. The outer cover should neither be bright nor slippery. The ball should not be inflated too much. Its weight for men and seniors shall not be more than 475 gms. or less than 425 gms. Its diameter shall be from 58 cms. to 60 cms. For all women and junior boys, its weight shall not be more than 400 gms..and not less than 325 gms. Its diameter shall be from 54 to 56 cms.
Each team has 12 players in all, out of which 10 are court players and 2 are goal-keepers. But only 7 players can participate in the game at one time, out of which 1 is goal-keeper and 6 are court players. In case a player is hurt, a substitute player comes in his place to play the game.
Duration of Game:
The duration of the game for men is 30-10-30 minutes, while for women it is 25-10-25 minutes. There is no time out in the game. The referee can take official time-out, if needed.
In tournaments, the game is played into two durations of 30 minutes each with no interval.
For women and juniors, the game is divided into two durations of 25 minutes each with an interval of 10 minutes.
In tournaments, the game is played in two durations of 10 minutes each state interval. For all other teams, it shall be played in two equal durations of 20 minutes each.
A goal cannot be scored against the rivals by a direct throw-on.
Playing the Ball:
The following methods of play are allowed:
Blocking the ball, catching, throwing, tossing or hitting it in any way or direction (with palms or flat hands) by using arms, head, body, knees etc are valid.
When the ball lies on the ground, it can be held for three seconds at the most. To walk with the ball for three steps is valid.
The Goal Area:
The goal-keeper alone is entitled to enter or remain inside the goal-area. The goal-keeper is considered to be entered if a player touches him in any way. The goal area line is included in the goal area. The following penalties are awarded on entering the goal area:
- Free-throw, when the ball is in the court player’s possession.
- Free-throw, when the ball is not in the court player’s possession but he has clearly taken the advantage by entering the goal area.
- Penalty-throw, when any player of the defending team knowingly and clearly enters the goal area for defence.
A goal is considered to have been scored when the hall passes through the goal line of the rivals through the goal posts under the cross bars, provided the scorer or any player of his team has not violated the rules.
If the ball crosses the boundary line or goes out of side line in the air, the game shall be re-started by a throw-in. The throw-in is taken by that player who has been last touched by the ball. The throw-in is taken from the point from where the ball has crossed the side-line.
When the ball passes the goal line outside the goal by the player of the defending team when touched for the last time, the attacking team is awarded a corner throw. This rule is not applicable on the goal-keeper in his own goal area.
Within 3 seconds of the court referee’s whistle the corner throw shall be taken from the same point of the goal side where the touch line and goal line meet each other, and from where the ball has gone out. The players of the defending team can take positions along the goal area line.
Goal-throw. Goal-throw is given in the following circumstances:
- When the ball crosses from above the goal line on the ground, in the air, having touched by the players of the attacking team or when the goal-keeper of the defending team has touched it in the goal-area.
- When the ball passes straight in the goal of the rival team by throw-in.
Free-throw is awarded in the following circumstances:
- On a player’s entering or leaving the playground in a wrong manner.
- On a player’s making the throw-in wrongly.
- On a player’s violating the rules.
- On a player’s knowingly playing the ball outside the side line.
Penalty-throw is awarded ‘when a player:
(i) makes a serious violation of rules in his own half.
(ii) makes a serious violation of rules in the court, area, spoiling the possibility of a clear goal.
GOAL KEEPER’S POSITION FOR PREVENTING SCORING
(iii) enters his goal area intentionally with the aim to defend.
(iv) pushes the ball intentionally in his goal area and the ball touches the goal-keeper.
(v) or when a goal-keeper carries the ball in his own goal area.
(vi) or when a goal-keeper spoils a clear possibility of scoring a goal in the opponent’s half of court.
(vii) or wdien there is a wrong substitution of a goal-keeper.
Describe the number of officials conducting the Handball game.
The following officials conduct the game of handball:
The team that scores more goals is declared the winner.
Important Information About the Handball Game
- Number of players in a team = 12
- Number of players on the court = 7
- Number of goalkeeper in a team = 2
- Number of players who actually play = 7 (6 court – player one goal keeper)
- Circumference of the ball = 58 to 60 cm
- Duration of play for men = 30-10-30 minutes
- Duration of rest = 10 minute
- Weight of the ball for men = 425 to 472 grams
- Weight of the ball for women = 325 to 375 grams
- Circumference of the ball for men = 58 to 60 cm
- Circumference of the ball for women = 54 to 56 cm
- The game of handball is played between two teams
- The game starts with the pass from one team to the other from the centre line.
- The duration of the game for men is 30-10-30 minutes while for women it is 25-10-25 minutes.
- The total number of players in each team is 12. The number of players to participate in the game is 7; the remaining five players are substitutes.
- The player can be substituted any time during the play.
- If a player gets injured, the game can be stopped on the orders of the referee, and the substitute enters the playfield, in case of need.
- To run with the ball is considered to be a foul.
- The weight of the handball for men is 475 gms, while for women it is 425 gms.
- The circumference of handball is from 58 cms. to 60 cms.
- If the ball goes out of the court, the rival team gets a throw from that place.
- To push any player deliberately during the game is considered to be a foul.
- A referee and an umpire conduct the game.
- The length of the playground is 40 metres, and the width is 20 metres.
- The goal-keeper cannot leave the outer D.
- There are two D’s in the game of handball.
- If a player with the ball is proceeding towards the D, and if a rival catches him by the arm, the referee awardg a penalty.