This PSEB 6th Class Computer Notes Chapter 8 Output Devices will help you in revision during exams.
PSEB 6th Class Computer Notes Chapter 8 Output Devices
Computer is an electronic device which gets input, processes it and give the output. Input is given to computer by input devices. The result which is provided to the user is called output. This output is given to the user using some devices. These devices are known as output devices.
Output devices are those devices which are used to get output from the computer. These devices display the information into human readable form. These devices are connected to computer using some wires or wireless media. These devices can show the output in text, audio, video are graphic form. There are a lot of output devices available these days.
Uses of output devices: Output devices are used for following purposes:
- These provide information from the computer.
- These can be used to get hard copy as well as soft copy.
- These give the information whether the computer has completed its work or not.
Types of Output Devices
There are many types of output devices available these days. Output devices can be categorized into following categories:
Monitor is also called visual display terminal. It is used to get soft copy of the output. It is most common output device. It looks like a television screen.
There are different kinds of monitors available these days.
- Cathode ray tube.
- Flat panel display
1. Cathode ray tube monitor: These monitors were used in earlier days. These monitors use cathode ray technology to display the information. They look like bulky television sets. The size of these monitors is measured by the diagonal length on the screen. Monitors are available in 15, 17, 19 and 21 inches screens. Initially they were black and white but now colored monitors are also available.
2. Flat panel display monitors: These are the monitors which have a thin display portion. They are reduced in volume, weight and Pi requirement. These monitors can be hung up on the walls. We can see these monitors on calculators, video games, laptop computers etc. These monitors consume less power. Some examples of flat panel display monitors are LCD, LED and plasma.
Differences between CRT monitors and Flat panel monitors:
|CRT Monitor||Flat Panel Display Monitors|
|(i) CRT monitors are big in size.||(i) Flat panel monitors are small in size.|
|(ii) CRT monitors are heavy.||(ii) Flat panel monitors are light weight.|
|(iii) They produce large amount of heat.||(iii) Flat panel produce very less heat.|
|(iv) They use more electricity.||(iv) They use less electricity.|
|(v) CRT monitors are cheaper.
||(v) These monitors are costly.
Speaker is an output device. Speakers are used to get audio output from the computer. They are connected to the sound card of the computer. Speakers produce audio output in the form of sound waves. Any type of sound can be produced by computer using the speaker.
- These speakers are required if the user wants to listen songs or watch a movie on a computer. There are many types of speakers available in the market.
- These ranges from small size to very big size. Normally a set of two speakers is attached to the computer. These speakers are connected to computers using two wires, one for data supply and second for power supply.
Headphones are also an output device. These are nothing but smaller versions of speakers. Headphones are also known as earphones. These devices are portable devices. These devices can be plugged into the computer directly or to the speaker attached to the computer. These devices are used when the user alone wants to listen music.
Headphones are similar to the headphones which we use on our mobile phones. They are also available in a variety of models.
Printer is an output device which gives a hard copy of the output. The output given by the printer is permanent in nature.
This output can be preserved in the form of paper. There are a lot of printers available in the market. Printer can be colored as well as black and white.
Printer can be divided into three main categories:
- Dot Matrix printer
- Inkjet printer
- Laser printer
1. Dot Matrix printer: As the name suggests, these printers print any character by combination of various dots. These printers are not very much costly. The speed of these printers is also slow. The printing quality of this printer is not very good. These produce a lot of sound while working. The resolution of printing is also very low. These printers fall in the category of impact printer. These printers are not used in large quantities these days.
2. Inkjet printer: Inkjet printer can be called a non-impact version of Dot Matrix printer.
Similar to Dot Matrix printer inkjet printer also print the text or graphics in the form of small dots. These printers can be colored printers. The printing cost of these printers is very low. The main advantage of these printers is that they do not produce sound while working. These printers are faster than Dot Matrix printers. These printers have small dots of ink on the paper. That is why they are called inkjet printers.
3. Laser printer: Laser printers are the most commonly used printers these days. They use laser technology to print on paper. This printer is black and white as well as colored. The speed of printing in this printer is very high. Their printing quality is also very high. These printers do not produce any sound while working. This printer is costly but the per paper cost is not very much.
Plotters also give hard copies of output. These are similar to the printer but plotters are used to print on big sized paper or canvas. Plotters are used in computer aided designs. These are used for some specific areas of application such as engineering design graphical design etc. Plotters use pens for drawing pictures in the media. The most common use of plotter is the big banners which we see in the market. These banners are printed with the help of plotters. Plotter can print black and white as well as color. Plotters are very costly devices. They cannot be awarded by single person.
These are of following types:
- Drum Plotter
- Flatbed Plotter
- Inkjet Plotter.
1. Drum Plotter: In drum plotter, a drum is used to rotate in vertical motion. It contains one or more Horizontal pen holders. These pens are used to draw lines on the paper. Drum and pen draw the design by working together simultaneously. Each pen is program selectable. Pens use different colours to draw.
2. Flatbed Plotter: It draws on flat paper. This paper is spread on flat bet table. Paper is not rotated. The pen moves as per the drawing. It contains many pen holdings of different colours. The plot area is as per bed area. It can range from A4 to 50 feet or more.
3. Inkjet Plotter: These plotters uses inkjet technology instead of pens. They can draw in colour. These plotters are usually faster than other types of plotters.
Projector is an output device which is used to get visual output. They can be connected to computers.
The projector gives the output big in size. The projectors are mainly used to display something to a large number of people. They are used in office meetings or in classroom teaching by the teachers.
Other Output Devices
- Digital camera
- Pen Drive
Difference Between Input and Output Devices
Following are the differences between input and output devices:
|Input devices||Output devices|
|(i) Input devices are used to give input to computers.||(i) These devices are used to get output from the computer.|
|(ii) Data and instructions are given as input using these devices.||(ii) After processing information is taken using these devices.|
|(iii) Input devices are available in large categories.||(iii) The categories of availability of in output devices is less.|